Mechanical Engineering is one of the core branches of engineering. It practically interfaces with all other branches of engineering and technology. All engineering products need knowledge of mechanical engineering for planning, designing, manufacturing, transportation, servicing and maintenance. The branch, therefore, has continuous demand weather the product is an electrical or electronic gadget, consumer item, and computation or communication devices. The mechanical engineering has a major role in automobile, aviation, production, power generation, mining and refineries.
- B. Tech – Mechanical Engineering
- M. Tech – Production and Industrial Engineering
The course curriculum of undergraduate programme- B. Tech in Mechanical Engineering includes fundamentals of thermodynamics, heat and mass transfer, energy conversion systems, refrigeration and air conditioning, fluid mechanics, fluid and turbo machinery, kinematics and dynamics of machines, machine design, modeling and simulation, material science, CAD/CAM, tool design, manufacturing methods, production process, production planning and control, CNC machines, automobile, industrial engineering and management, tribology, and aspects of machinery noise, vibration and maintenance.
Course Curriculum and Scheme
The department, right from the inception, has been offering undergraduate and advanced studies under all the broad field of Thermo-Fluids, Materials and Design, Manufacturing Sciences and Robotics. The current areas include computer aided design techniques, computer aided manufacturing, flexible and robotic manufacturing systems, intelligent machines and systems, computer graphics, precision engineering, automation, advanced machining methods and materials. The teaching-learning pedagogy includes Project Based learning (PBL) technique. The latest CNC lathe machine has also been installed in the departmental workshop. Soon, department is going to have 3-D printing machine for the research work of M. Tech and PhD programme.
The department of mechanical engineering has well equipped Workshop and labs of thermodynamics, heat and mass transfer, energy conversion systems, refrigeration and air conditioning, fluid mechanics, fluid and turbo machinery, kinematics and dynamics of machines, machine design, graphics, CAD/CAM, internal combustion engines, automobile, metrology and measurement, and vibration engineering. Additionally the department has a functional CNC machine shop used extensively for student’s training and projects.
ITM University Gwalior carries out original research of significance in the cutting edge area under mechanical engineering. Beside research it also imparts training for students to make them competent and motivated professionals. The institute not only celebrates freedom of thoughts, cultivates vision, encourages growth but also inculcates human values and concern for the environment and the society.
The current research areas are in the fields of Thermal, Production, Design and Vibration Engineering. The quality research papers have been published by the faculty members in leading international journals and several papers have also been awarded as best technical papers of the year.
- In the ECO KART competition of 2015, our cart was appreciated as “Best SUV of the Event” due to its design and aesthetic appearance. The team also won the “Best captain” award.
- Secured First Rank in Gwalior Region in Virtual round of “Go Kart” Championship.
- Team “YOGA” from “ITM UNIVERSITY, GWALIOR” has successfully completed the Virtual Round of Eco KART 2014, Securing 12th Rank All India. The Team is now eligible for further performing in the Dynamics Round of ECO KART 2014.
- Participated in national seminar on “Emerging Market Opportunities for Off-Highway industry in India” which was in industrial collaboration of Volvo, JCB, John Deere, M&M, Cummins, TAFE, Caterpillar, Eaton, L&T PTC, KPIT, L&T, Infosys, Mahindra, etc.
Career Options & Placement opportunities
The career options are unlimited for mechanical engineers as fields of design and development, production, maintenance, production planning and control, sales, valuation are wide open in all private industries, PSUs and government enterprises. The data reveals that growth and success probability in career is more for mechanical engineers. The mechanical engineering graduates have ample placement opportunities.
- Almost every industry needs more mechanical engineers than engineers in their specific branch.
- The branch that gives you the widest security of job. There are more than 80000 types of jobs available for mechanical engineers.
The leading sectors requiring mechanical engineers are automotive, energy, oil and gas, commercial and consumer products, construction equipments, defence, armed forces, business circle, aerospace, power generation, nuclear, alternative fuels, utility companies, chemical and environmental industries, pharmaceuticals and health care, bio medical, sports equipment manufacturing etc.
Major Recruiters: General Motors, HONDA, TOYOTA, ONGC, Indian Oil, Reliance, Shell, Esso, Godrej, Unilever, DLF, L & T, ABB, BOSCH, SIEMENS etc.