National Cadet Corps (NCC)
The ITM University Gwalior has two established active NCC Units:
- 8 MP Artillery Battery for Male.
- 3MP Artillery Battery for Female.
The University offers training 159 cadets with 106 boys and 53 girls under the Army Wing of the National Cadet Corps.
Associated NCC Officers/CT of ITM University
Dr. Shivom Singh
Department of Environmental Science
8MP Bn NCC
Ar. Amandeep Kaur
School of Architecture
3MP Bn NCC
Training held in the University campus with regular parades include training in drill, map reading, weapon training, obstacle etc. It also includes parades for firing, social service and adventure, parasailing, horse riding, rock climbing, firing, mountaineering, cycle expedition, motorcycle expedition, trekking etc. Parades and theory classes are organized in afternoon session on every Saturday.
The Units prepare them for taking up the higher NCC Certificate Examinations. The Cadets are given opportunities for attachment with regular Army or Navy Units (as the case may be) for specialized training and actual experience of field conditions. NCC Cadets are also groomed for assisting the administration in the proper and orderly conduct of special events and in relief work in civic emergencies. The Units also organized brief programme on Republic and Independence Day Celebrations, and on special occasions such as the NCC day, to provide vignettes of the actual field operations of the Defence Forces.
General Criteria for Enrollment:
1) Age limit for a student to join NCC:
18 to 24 yrs of age.
2) Criteria for Enrolment:
Only first and second year graduate students are eligible to enroll in NCC.
3) Quantitative Requirement: No student of any University offering himself/herself for enrolment in the senior division shall be eligible for enrolment
- a) Unless he/she is of good character
- b) Unless he/she is a citizen of India or a subject of Nepal: provided that the central Govt. may in any suitable case, relax the provision of this clause
- c) Unless he/she is under age of 24 years; provided that the central Govt. may in the case of any student or class of student relax the provisions in this clause
- d) Unless he/she is on the roll of the college which is providing the unit or part thereof
- e) Unless he/she satisfies such standard of physical fitness in height, chest measurement and other respects as may be specified by the Ministry of Defence, Govt. of India
- f) If he/she has at any time been convicted of an offence involving moral turpitude and a sentence other than one of the fine or imprisonment in default of payment of fine has been passed in respect of such offence, such sentence not having been subsequently reversed or remitted or the offence pardoned. Provided that a person who is ineligible under this clause shall be eligible for enrolment if he produces a certificate from the state Govt. that he is a fit person to be enrolled
- After two years of training – ‘B’ Certificate
- After three years of training – ‘C’ Certificate
Benefits of NCC:
Preference is given to B & C certificate holders in Defense Services, Police services, Para-Military forces, Fire forces, BSF, Territorial Army, Industrial Security Forces, Public Sectors, and all uniform services.
60 Engineering Seats, 16 Medical Seats, 6-7% of Post Graduation seats are reserved for NCC cadets in all Indian Universities.
Number of vacancies created every year through UPSC & SSC for ‘C’ Certificate holders and the selected only on interview basis.
NCC ‘C’ Certificate holders are given preference in the recruitment of Civilian Gliding Instructors/Girl Cadet Instructors /NCC whole time lady officers and Aero/Ship modeling instructors.
For Army soldier recruitment, NCC cadets get bonus marks.
NCC Cadets have reservation in many Government jobs, especially in the State and Central Police and in paramilitary forces.
NCC cadets have a lot of academic incentives too.
NCC ‘C’ Certificate cadet taken part in Republic day parade at New Delhi, they are exempted from CEE and be awarded 100 marks in lieu.
Sahara India and many other top industries pick up NCC Cadets possessing ‘C’ certificate for various job in their companies.